Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Herald Publications in trouble, offers "stimulus package"




Herald Publications, which publishes my city's weekly free paper, the El Segundo Herald, is in trouble. In their own words, "Herald Publications recognizes that many families and business, including us, are struggling."

As a result, they are offering a stimulus package: any add ran in any of their three South Bay papers will be ran for free in the other two papers.

I'm a bit puzzled by the whole thing, because I would have thought that micro-local papers such as the El Segundo Herald (El Segundo = 16,000 residents) would have been shielded from the add crisis. When you think about it, craigslist isn't that local, as far as really big cities, especially a suburban city such as LA, are concerned. If I want a cheap couch, I'm more likely to find one in the El Segundo Herald classified section than I am to find it on craigslist (on craigslist, I will most certainly find one in Downtown LA, one in Santa Monica, one in Los Feliz, etc, but it will take me much sorting time to find one in El Segundo).

But I guess my instinct is wrong. I mean, how bad is it that a paper has to offer triple the circulation for the price of one in order to lure advertisers?...

No comments:

Post a Comment