Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Is my local paper going down?


A month ago, I reported that my El Segundo Herald was advertising a "stimulus package": any add ran in any of their three South Bay papers would for free in the other two papers.

This week, the Herald reports going online. What's going on here? I do not see a point for a free local paper to go online, unless they upload special content that is not in the print version, but it does not seem to be the case here.

There are reasons why pay print papers would go online, amongst the the following:

- offer additional content
- offer free content in order to compete in a free world, where people do not want to pay for the paper anymore.

But the Herald is free already! And it's already widely distributed. I get it on my doorstep. I get it at the coffee shop. I get it at the pizza place. And this is where I read it, too. My need are already fulfilled, and I will not go online to read it.

So why go online? ... Oh wait ... is my local paper secretly planning on going paperless soon ?!

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment